Silver works in three ways to kill microbes:
- Silver inhibits metabolism of bacterial cells by binding several enzymes, which means the cells can't breathe or produce energy, which they obviously need to live (6).
- Silver ions react with microbial cell membranes, “disrupting the structure of the cell membrane and inhibiting the normal budding process due to the destruction of the membrane integrity (5).” Essentially, the cell membranes start to fall apart.
- Silver literally binds microbial DNA to prevent it from multiplying, which means that the infectious microbes can't make more of themselves (7).
All in all, silver is pretty amazing! Colloidal silver can also work together with prescribed antibiotics to aid in their activity and help reduce resistance. This means that you and your pet could take less antibiotics but get more bacteria-fighting action out of them when combined with colloidal silver. Another interesting fact about silver nanoparticles is that it is selective toward bad bacteria in the body.
The Benefits of Colloidal Silver
Here is a brief overlook at some of the things its Antibacterial, Antiviral, and Anti-fungal properties can be used for:
- For Cleaning Wounds and Skin
Keep wounds, burns, skin conditions, hotspots, ringworm (a fungal infection) and other open sores clear of bacteria and other infectious agents (8).
- Eye and Ear Infections
Ear and eye infections can be caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi, or all of the above, which are all killed by silver nanoparticles (9). It is a good option when you do not know if an ear infection, for example, is caused by bacteria or by fungus.
Its anti-inflammatory abilities are not often discussed, but it has been shown in recent studies that silver can decrease inflammation and swelling, which can increase healing (10)!
The great thing about Colloidal Silver is microbes take longer to develop resistance or immunity to it, unlike conventional antibiotic drugs (11). This means those antibiotic-resistant superbugs have nothing to defend themselves against the wrath of silver nanoparticles.
- Respiratory and Urinary Tract Infections
These types of infections are very common in cats that use poor quality clay litters that are full of dust. The Colloidal Silver would be ingested to treat these infections to work from the inside out (12).